Hey everyone!! I’m participating in the Gayle Forman Read Along organized by the ever so wonderful Brittany from The Book Addict’s Guide! The first book we are reading is Gayle’s debut novel, Sisters in Sanity, and this book is being hosted by the amazing Judith at Paper Riot! This post contains by answers for the last week’s reading section, chapters 22-28.
1. Brit realizes that they have nothing to fear from the Red Rock. The only thing that’s keeping them back is fear itself. In what way do they fear the Red Rock? What will happen now that Brit is no longer afraid?
The girls are afraid of Red Rock because of how they are treated there. The workers are awful to them, and their punishment style is totally insane! Now that Brit is no longer afraid, she has the mind-set to be able to break the girls out and shut this God-awful place down for good.
2. Brit finds letters from her mother and grandmother. What did you feel about them? Do you think there is still hope for Brit’s mother? And how did her grandmother feel about Brit being sent to the Red Rock?
Honestly, I have no idea if there is hope for Brit’s mother. I really want there to be, and maybe because she has a lucid day every once in a while there is. Perhaps she will realize that if she starts taking her meds that more days can be like that. Her grandmother hates that Brit is there. These letters were so heartbreaking to read about, that I can’t even imagine what it would be like to actually be in a situation like Brit’s and be personally receiving them.
3. We find out the truth about V. What really happened to her? How do you feel about this? Were you expecting something like this?
We learn that V’s dad was killed in a car accident, while her mother walked away scot-free. This made V afraid of everything, and made her check herself into Red Rock. I don’t have any experience with anxiety like V had, but I would imagine it is awful. Also, I didn’t see this coming at all. I mean, we all knew that V had a secret, but I honestly had no idea what it was going to turn out to be.
4. What did you think of the way this book ended? Do you feel satisfied? Were there things you didn’t like that much? What was your favorite part?
I was actually pleased with how the book ended, and I am definitely satisfied with it. I’m incredibly glad that Red Rock got shut down for good. I think that my favourite part about the ending was how Brit finally just showed up at the journalists house and screamed at him to get him to take her seriously. She must have had some real guts to be able to do that.
5. What is your first thought of Sisters In Sanity? Did you enjoy it? Do you think you’ll want to read it again? If you have read Gayle Forman’s other books, did you like this one more or less?
I actually quite liked this book. It’s probably not anything that I would read again. It was an enjoyable read, but it wasn’t anything spectacular is all. I haven’t read any of Gayle Forman’s other books yet, so I’d have to say that so far this on is my favourite! ;)