Hey everyone!! I’m participating in the Gayle Forman Read Along organized by the ever so wonderful Brittany from The Book Addict’s Guide! We’re on to the second book of the read along, If I Stay. This portion of the read along is being hosted by Candice at The Grown-Up YA! This week’s questions focus on the first part of the book, pages 1-62.
1. What was your initial reaction to the accident? Did you have an OMG moment?
When I first read that scene, I’m pretty sure my jaw dropped. I thought it was interesting how Gayle chose to write the scene without the reader experiencing the accident first hand (as the book is written in the first person), but instead having Mia narrate the details of the accident just after the fact. And I can’t even begin to imagine how Mia must have felt witnessing the carnage from the accident – I began to feel sick just reading the gruesome details.
2. Adam and Mia are about as opposite as can be. Based on what you’ve read so far, what do you feel makes them such an intense couple?
I think that Adam and Mia are such an intense couple because they share a common interest, but enjoy and experience very different aspects of it. They are both musicians, but Adam is more of a rocker and Mia is a classical cellist. I think this allows them to learn more about each other through how they experience their music – which is a very personal thing – thus making them an intense couple.
3. Mia is watching what is happening to her in the hospital. How do you think she is handling it? Do you think her reactions to everything is natural or is it something else?
I don’t know about you, but if I were having an out of body experience and witnessing all of the invasive surgeries and treatments being performed on my own body, I would not be as eerily calm as Mia is throughout this whole ordeal! It strikes me as a little strange how calmly she is handling all of this.
4. We’re introduced to Mia’s family before and after the accident, who is a group of varied individuals. Have you developed a favorite yet? If so, why? What makes that person special to you?
I don’t think I’ve come to like any member of Mia’s family more that the rest just yet. I love them all. They are such a fun-loving and happy go lucky family, with amazing parents who can connect with their children and act more like friends, and yet still seem like parents. But when I do get around to picking a favourite, I’ll keep y’all updated ;)
5. We ended this week’s reading on one of the sexiest scenes ever. What was your reaction to this? Cigarette? Cold shower? Sneaking ahead to read more?
It was definitely hard to stop reading at the end of the first 62 pages! That scene, combined with everything else that is going on makes me never want to put this books down. I just want to keep reading to find out what is going to happen!!!