Hey everyone!! I’m participating in the Gayle Forman Read Along organized by the ever so wonderful Brittany from The Book Addict’s Guide! The first book we are reading is Gayle’s debut novel, Sisters in Sanity, and this book is being hosted by the amazing Judith at Paper Riot! This post contains by answers for the third week’s reading section, chapters 15-21.
1. Let’s talk about the most important thing here: Brit + Jed. How do you feel about them finally getting together? Do you think there’s a future for them if Brit gets out of the Red Rock?
Eeeeeeppppp!!!! I’m so happy they finally got together! First of all, it was insanely cute, what with Jed taking Brit to the nationaly park and going for a hike, then having their little moment on the blanket in the clearing. AWWWWWW <3 I really really really hope there is a future for them! I mean, Jed’s been taking the time to write coded letters to Brit while she’s been away for 6 months, so he clearly knows how to put effort into a relationship.
2. When Brit gets caught, V takes the blame. Why do you think she’d do that? Do you think there’s more to V than we’ve seen so far? And why would Brit be furious? Do you think this is a normal reaction?
I think that V takes the blame for Brit because…. well, I really have no idea. Maybe because she knows she can get herself out of there soon when she turns 18? I just don’t know. I definitely think there’s more to V than we’ve seen, and I hope we get to find out what she’s hiding soon! I think that Brit got mad at V because Brit feels bad that V is serving the punishment for Brit’s actions, instead of herself. Brit is also probably angry because V has kept so much to herself, and is still hiding things, yet Brit has been completely open. I definitely think it’s a normal reaction from Brit to be angry.
3. “Maybe I was going to end up crazy too. Not the carving-my-skin, barfing-up-my-lunch, ditching-class- types that passed for crazy at Red Rock. But voices-in-my-head crazy. Crazy like my mother.” Brit is afraid she’ll end up like her mother. Why does she think this? Do you think she should feel this way? Would you feel this way?
If I had someone as close to me as my mother go crazy and schizophrenic, I would definitely feel worried that it might happen to me too! The fact that she has been sent away from her family by her father to a place trying to convince her that she might be crazy probably doesn’t help either.
4. Brit’s dad comes to visit, and Brit is angry at him for sending her to the Red Rock. Why did he send her there? Do you think he even knows himself? And do you think he’s right?
Brit’s dad sent her to Red Rock because although he felt he was too late to help Brit’s mother, there is nothing stoping him from “helping” Brit. I think that is what he is telling himself, but the actual reason might just be buried too deep inside him for him to figure out. I don’t think he was right in sending Brit to Red Rock. There is nothing wrong with her at all. She’s a good kid – doesn’t drink or smoke or do drugs – but her father and step-mom don’t seem to see that!
5. And then, finally, we learn that Martha is in the hospital. For Brit, this is the final drop. She’s ready to kick some Red Rock butt. How do you feel about Martha? And what do you think Brit and the Sisters are going to do? Do you think they’ll succeed?
When I found out about Martha, I was so scared! I think Martha really does want to change her ways, but Red Rock is not helping her to do it in a healthy way at all! I really like Martha, and I hope she is okay. And all I know is that Brit is ready to shut this place down. How she is going to do it, I don’t know. But do I think she is going to succeed? Definitely.