BEST IN BOOKS 2013
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Contemporary YA –I’m going to have to cheat here…. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch (my review), The Statistical Probability of Love and First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith (my review), and The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen (my review)
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic – Delirium by Lauren Oliver (my review)
Paranormal — Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (my review)
Science Fiction — Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Fantasy — Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo (my review)
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith (my review)
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Hmmmm, definitely Cinder! So many people were raving about it and there was so much hype, which was the initial thing that scared me off. But then there was also the fact that I’m really not a big science fiction reader and that scared me too. I just didn’t think it was going to be something I would like. I WAS WRONG.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
I pushed Fangirl onto so many of my friends!
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Either Katie McGarry, or Stephanie Perkins
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. ADULT BOOKS SCARE ME.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas. The mystery in that book kept me on the edge of my seat! (my review)
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
I just love the cute typography on the cover of The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight! So cute!
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
I know I just read it, but Anna from Anna and the French Kiss. I was able to just totally get inside her head and she was just so funny and relatable!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith. Just beautiful. (my review)
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler. It taught me a lot about how to deal with grief when it comes around. (my review)
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen!!!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
From Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi:
I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.
I love this quote so much that my friend even made me a travel mug with this quote on it for my birthday this year!
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this yeaer that was the shortest and longest.
Shortest– The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky at 213 pages!
Longest — The Host by Stephanie Meyer comes in at 619 pages! (my review)
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The end of Insurgent!!! That was some major cliffhanger ending!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Favourite romantic relationship goes to Anna and Etienne from Anna and the French Kiss.
Favourite friendship is the trio from Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer: Gigi, Be a, and Neerja.
Favourite sibling relationship hands down goes to Carey and Janessa from If You Find Me. They were so perfect.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Ok. This year I only read ONE BOOK from an author I’ve previously read before. SHOCKING, I know. Anywhooo, that book was The Host by Stephanie Meyer.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Angelfall by Susan Ee (my review)
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Definitely contemporary YA! It’s my go to – tried and true.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Levi from Fangirl and Etienne from Anna and the French Kiss!!
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
3:59 by Gretchen McNeil
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Shadow and Bone! I was able to picture everything so vividly, especially the beautiful Keftas everyone wears!
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
The DUFF by Kody Keplinger (my review) and Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham (my review). Both of these books made me laugh out loud a lot when I was reading them! Also I don’t know if I can count this because I’m not done it yet, but I will anyways because it’s more of a collection of little stories, but Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh is so fun and funny to read that when I do I’m actually crying from laughing so hard!!!!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
If I Stay by Gayle Forman. Wow. Tears.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
I read The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna in early 2013, and it is one that I think is overlooked too much. It was actually the first book I reviewed on my blog, and it was fantastic. Definitely underrated in my opinion! (my review)
BOOK BLOGGING/READING LIFE 2o13
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
Well, since I’m new to the book blogging community in 2013, all of the book blogs I’ve discovered are new! However, some of my faves are The Perpetual Page Turner, Book Rock Betty, and Paperiot!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
I think I’d have to say that my favourite review from this year was for The Truth About Forever. It was my first Sarah Dessen book and I loved it and couldn’t hide that in my review!
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Hmmm, I’d say the best discussion had on my blog this year was How Do You Decide What to Read Next?
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Jamie’s If We Were Having Coffee Post is just amazing.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
This year I went to my first book signing!!! I went with Yasmine from The Yasmine Public Library. It was such a great day. We took the train in to Toronto, went for Korean Barbecue for lunch, and then headed over to the Fierce Reads signing! Meeting Leigh Bardugo was amazing!
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
I’d say finally being approved for print ARCs from HarperCollins Canada, Simon and Schuster Canada, and a few other publishers! It made me feel like I had finally done something right with my blog, and solidified that fact that people must like my blog after all :P
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My most popular post by comments this year (that wasn’t a meme) was To Rate or Not to Rate. I got a lot of very good suggestions from people about the pros and cons of rating, and a lot of rating tips.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I wish that my review of Fire with Fire got a little more comment love! But, I posted it very close to the end of summer when everyone is really busy, so it was probably my fault.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I actually met my goodreads goal for this year! I wasn’t very steep – only 50 books – but so far for this year I have read 55 books! YAY FOR ME!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi!!!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
HOW DO I CHOOSE?!?!? Well, I’ll just say Landline by Rainbow Rowell. Who doesn’t love Rainbow Rowell?
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Never Have I Ever by Katie Heaney. This sounds like it’s going to be super cute, quirky, and funny! I can’t wait!
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Welllllll, I have this little issue with series…. and so I have a lot of middle books in series to read before I can get excited about series enders!!!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
Get my blogging more under control and blog more! I plan on organizing my time better so I can fit in more blogging with school next year.